Have you ever tried using your horse’s shampoo on your hair? If you’re suffering from dryness and split ends or you want to boost hair growth, there’s a particular horse shampoo that might save you! Many celebrities like Jennifer Aniston are crediting their luscious and sleek locks to this product initially designed for horses.
If you’re familiar with the equestrian industry, you probably have heard about Mane ‘n Tail, or chances are you’re using it for your horse’s hair. However, it is now a product that many women swear by. You’re probably wondering what it is and how you can benefit from using a horse shampoo – yes, a HORSE shampoo. Let’s dig deeper to find out if it’s right for you.
What is Mane ‘n Tail?
Mane’n’Tail is a horse shampoo brand designed to make a horse’s coat soft and shiny, and clean without stripping off its natural oils. It has been around for over 50 years, and it is popular among equestrians.
But, if this shampoo is specialized for horses, then why do humans use it? A horse’s coat and skin are more sensitive than a human’s. Therefore, to ensure that the hair product is safe for their equine companion, many horse owners test the product on themselves before using it for their horse. That’s how Mane ‘n Tail has broken through equestrian lines, and since then, many people reportedly saw positive results and claimed that it made their hair softer, thicker, and manageable.
Before purchasing a product, we recommend always checking its active ingredients first and the potential side effects to your hair and scalp, more so if it’s a product originally for horses. So, before trying out this shampoo, join us as we discuss its benefits and side effects.
Benefits of Using Mane and Tail
To determine the potential benefits of Mane ‘n Tail, let’s break down and analyze its ingredients first.
- Water/Aqua/Eau – Most shampoos contain around 80 to 90% water, and the rest is composed of active ingredients.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – a cleaning agent or surfactant that breaks down and removes dirt and grease from your hair and scalp, leaving a clean feeling. The downside of sulfate is it may strip away too much moisture, making your hair dry and unhealthy when overused.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine – a mixture of closely related compounds obtained from coconut oil and dimethylaminopropylamine that moisturizes dry hair, adds softness while fighting dandruff and stimulating hair growth.
- Cocamide MEA – a thick, waxy substance derived from coconut oil that supports primary surfactants in cleansing and reviving lifeless hair.
- Glycol Distearate – a stearic acid-based compound that provides the product with a pearlescent effect.
- Sodium Chloride – also known as table salt, is a thickener that produces foamy and bubbly lather on shampoos.
- Propylene Glycol – this alcohol aids hair in absorbing, trapping, and retaining moisture.
- Fragrance (Parfum) – It gives off a pleasant smell that’s although safe, is not ideal for those who have a sensitive scalp. Experts suggest that hypoallergenic for those who want to avoid possible reactions.
- Hydrolyzed Collagen – This is a broken down and easy to dissolve amino acids that build hair proteins and strengthen the skin while keeping your follicles away from damage.
- Citric Acid – Acidic ingredient that helps keep the shampoo at the right pH level while absorbing excess sebum. However, this ingredient also comes with a risk because this natural bleach and oxidizing agent may whiten your hair. It reduces the colour pigment or melanin, leading to loss of hair colour.
- Butylphenyl Methylpropional – This component also provides fragrance to the product.
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone(MCI) and Methylisothiazolinone(MI) – These hard to pronounce chemicals are preservatives that prevent mould and bacteria’s growth products, keeping users safe when using the products at home.
So base on the mentioned ingredients, people use the Mane ‘n Tail shampoo for the following benefits:
- Promoting hair growth
- Repairing split ends
- Making the hair shinier and thicker
- Getting rid of oily hair
Potential Side Effects and Precautions
Horse shampoo like Mane ‘n Tail may help you achieve shinier, longer, and manageable hair. However, the fact that it’s intended for horses carries the risk of side effects, which may include the following:
- dryness and hair damage due to too much keratin usage
- excess frizz for people with curly or wavy hair
- hives, rash, and itchiness due to benzalkonium chloride formula
- loss of hair.color
- it may strip off too much natural oils in your hair
Therefore, it’s best to avoid using Mane ‘n Tail if you have color-treated hair to prevent stripping off its color. You may also reduce the risk of side effects by not using the shampoo regularly.
Where to Purchase and Cost
You can buy Mane ‘n Tail shampoo and conditioner as a set on Amazon for only $22.99. Each bottle weighs 32oz and has an apple blossom scent. It’s also available in some drugstores, big-box or equestrian stores, and beauty supply outlets nationwide. It’s often cheaper than most commercial hair product brands and safe to use; that’s why many people jumped onto the bandwagon and tried using it to see its effect since it doesn’t cost that much.
How to Use Mane & Tail Shampoo
The process of applying a horse shampoo is similar to how we use a regular one:
1. Wet your hair thoroughly and apply about 2 tsp of Mane ‘n Tail shampoo on your hair. Them lather and rinse it out entirely.
2. If you are using the regular conditioner, you may apply the same amount with the shampoo to your hair and work it from the ends up to your roots. If you want a more even coating, you may comb your hair too. Then, let it sit and rinse it out after 2-3 minutes.
3. Some conditioners come in a spray bottle formula that can be an alternative leave-in conditioner. If you are using this type, you may skip the second step and spray it throughout your hair. Then, comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb to ensure that it was applied evenly.
Positive and Negative Reviews
Although many are a bit hesitant in trying out this horse shampoo, many took the risk, and it seemed like Mane ‘n Tail has lived up to the expectations of many since some delighted customers left an impressive rating for the product. For example, Brendale, who has been using the shampoo for a year, said, “This shampoo is a life-saver! It has helped my daughter’s thin hair become thicker, and it helps my hair grow faster.”
Another equally delighted customer is Sare Lea, who shared that it hasn’t been long since the shampoo became available in their country, and after hearing great things about it, she tried it herself, and she’s glad she did! She had long, thick, and heavily textured and frizzy hair. And regarding the result on her hair, she added that “my hair is still a little frizzy, but it helped to make her hair look sleek and shiny.”
However, not all people who have tried it achieved the same results. While some have been fascinated and said many good things about Mane ‘n Tail shampoo, others felt the opposite. Take, for example, Staycie, who commented, “After using the product, my hair began falling out, and I broke out my hairline with itchy bumps.” Although not much hair was lost, she said it’s not good for thick and wavy hair. Another user shared the same sentiment with Staycie because she felt it was good on the first two washes, but the third time she used them, it became dry and drier.
It turns out the barn favourite Mane ‘n Tail is not just for equines and has a prominent reputation among human users too. It doesn’t just help humans achieve a shinier lock, but it also helps the hair grow to its fullest potential. However, these results are not a hundred per cent guaranteed, because according to several reviews, it also comes with several drawbacks. Therefore, it must be only used occasionally to avoid damage. We would recommend consulting a dermatologist before using any hair products to know what product will work best for your hair type.